Monday, August 6, 2007

Pinwheel Baby Blanket


Yes, I know that image is sideways. I was about to fix it and then I realized--it's round! There is no right side up. And it looks trippy this way.
Project Specs:
Pattern: Pinwheel Baby Blanket
Needles: Size 7 Denise Interchangeable needles. Perfect for this project--I was able to add cords as the blanket grew.
Yarn: less than 1 cone of Elmore-Pisgah Strawberry Cream
Recipient: Alyssa, daughter of one of my cousins
Time: A little over a week.
Notes: After looking at pictures of other people's Pinwheel Baby Blankets on Ravelry, I discovered that I'd need to add an edging to minimize rolling. I added a little over an inch of garter stitch. It doesn't lay completely flat and that might be because I didn't continue doing the increases for the edging. Since I didn't rip back and re-do the edging, I'm not sure if that really was the problem.
Care instructions given to the parents: Use it! It's dishcloth cotton. It can hold up to all the spit up the baby can come up with. It's machine washable! (This after finding out that the acrylic, machine washable garter stitch blankie made for Alyssa's older brother doesn't get much use. Use the hand knits people! This isn't Franklin's christening shawl we're talking about here.) (Warning: looking at pictures of Franklin's christening shawl may cause lightheadedness. It's just that amazing.)

This is a fast, fun knit and although I wouldn't use dishcloth cotton for an afghan or a blanket for adults, I think for the no frills needs of a baby, it's just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!