Monday, September 10, 2007

Scout Badges

If you listen to Cast On, then you've heard about the Knitting Scout Badges.

Now, I was a girl scout for 2 years. One of those years, I forgot to even tell my mom about the dinner where we got our badges, let alone actually show up. I did earn a bunch of badges, if you can define earning as sitting with one of the grown-ups and trying to think of stuff that I'd done that would count towards a badge. Plus, I guess some of the activities we did at the meetings got us some badges. I recall the baking of pretzels. It's entirely possible that something was done involving glitter.

And I did go camping once and we earned some badges, but I have only the vaguest memory of how to make a little stove out of a coffee can. The first-aid stuff may have sunk in, but then again, both my parents were volunteer EMTs, and I became one myself in my 20s, so if I showed up for my first EMT class knowing anything, it was probably through osmosis as much as through girl scout camp.

Although, now that I think of it, we might not have done first aid at camp. But 4 of us were sent down the mountain to get something and one of use hurt her ankle. We fashioned a crutch from a fallen branch and I ran ahead for help. When I got back to camp, they chided me because they'd been worried because we were gone for so long. If I had been older, I'm sure I would've come up with a beautifully sarcastic comeback. Something like, "Well it's good that you're worried because there actually is something to worry about."

So anyway, I had badges. They never got sewn onto my sash. I still have some of them, but I have actually thrown some of them out, so much have they meant to me. Now, I wish I hadn't thrown them out, since it would be kinda cool to have them and maybe sew them onto a bag or something.

I do still have several medals from school. The kind in school colors that are given out at 8th grade graduation for being good at math or reading. I suppose I could pin them to a jacket for a military look, but it's not the 80s anymore and I'm not Michael Jackson, so I'm not sure I could pull of the look.

But now I have some knitting badges to proudly display.


The “Knitting Whilst Under the Influence” Badge
Well, who hasn't really?


The “MacGyver” Badge (Level One)
I have yarn bras made from old pantyhose and bobbins from those plastic bread tabs. Apparently, that's clever. Who knew?


The “I Will Impress You With My Math Prowess” Badge
Earned because I have been cheap, I mean frugal, and substituted yarns. Also earned because of my remedy to the lying swatch problem with the Green Tea Raglan. The less said about the little bastard the better.


The “Proselytize Knitting” Badge
My favorite bit of advice to give--"You should take up knitting." As in, "Your husband made you sit through 2 epsodes of Star Trek:The Next Generation in a row and you don't even like sci fi? You should take up knitting. You'd be less bored."

This advice was not taken, but I tried.

So those are my knitting badges. Now if I could only figure out a way to sew them onto a tote bag...

No comments:

Post a Comment

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!