Tuesday, January 15, 2008

We Gots Mittens!

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments on yesterday's post.

Before I go into today's post, I have simply got to mention that I just got an e-mail from Sandrasingh.com announcing 40% off Lorna's Laces. Even though I'm on an unofficial yarn diet, that much of a discount on such scrumptious yarn has me lightheaded. I made my clapotis out of Lorna's Lion and Lamb and oh, dear god was it worth it!

OK, I'm off to the fainting couch. You read about mittens.

IMG_0670
I made these for my mom. She's a teacher at school that doesn't have a teacher's parking lot, but does have alternate side of the street parking. So she often has to walk a few blocks to get to and from her car. She complained of the cold. I said, "Want mittens?" and she said, "OK!" And then I made mittens.

I'm so glad I measured her hand myself. Her hand circumference is a full inch more than mine. The entire time I was knitting them, I kept thinking they were too big. But they're not and apparently, I have wee little hands, at least compared to what the genetic lottery could've handed me.

Details:
Pattern: Basic Mitten Pattern by Ann Budd from The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns
Yarn: Knit Picks Swish Superwash in Red Pepper
Needles: Size US 5 DPNs

I got them in the mail on Friday, so hopefully we'll be getting an on the model shot soon.

But wait! There's more!
IMG_0672

I made peek-a-boo mittens for me! This way my fingers can peek out and grab my Metrocard and I don't have to take off the mittens.
IMG_0673
Hello fingers!

Details:
Pattern: Basic Mitten Pattern by Ann Budd from The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns
Yarn: Knit Picks Swish Superwash in Ocean
Needles: Size US 5 DPNs
Mods: I loosely followed the instructions for the Lady's Work Mittens by Sarah Bradberry from Knitting-and.com. I knot a certain number of stitches onto waste yarn. When I was finished, I removed the waste yarn and put the live stitches back on needles. I did 4 rows of ribbing on each side and bound off, sewing the panels of ribbing down to make a flap.

After a week or so of use, they're working out just fine. I made the thumbs too pointy and I know from my Fetchings that the yarn will pill like a mofo, but they should keep me covered for this winter at least. And they match the leg warmers I made last year (or quite possibly the year before), so there's that.

3 comments:

  1. I made mittens from the same Ann Bud pattern and love them. I did find the thumb was too tight as written so had to do more stitches. The peek a boo mittens are neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great mittens, you're such a sweetie to knit them for your mom. And thanks for mentioning my Lorna's Laces sale!
    Sandra Singh

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh so nice. I can't knit mittens or socks but they're on my list of things to learn to do. Your convertible mittens are so great.

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!