Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Argh

See the pretty blue wristwarmers.
IMG_0704
Made from baby alpaca yarn that I bought on sale.
IMG_0705
That itch like a mofo.

Because I'm allergic to alpaca.

Fuuuuuuucccckkkkkk.

Yeah. Wearing these, I felt every little bit of fuzz rubbing against my skin. I even tried washing them in shampoo and conditioner. No go.

Oh, and a friend of mine showed me her wool wristwarmers. I slipped them on without thinking. Itch-a-rama.

I don't think I'll have to go completely wool free. I think I've been OK with blends and superwash is fine (the fuzz has been chemically burned off), but...

I own 4 sweaters worth of alpaca yarn.

And you know, you would've thought that I would have already admitted to myself that I'm allergic to alpaca. I tried knitting some up into a top-down set-in sleeves sweater of my own device (led by Barbara Walker's Knitting from the Top Down) and it bothered my sinuses to work on it. But no, everything I read online said that alpaca is hypoallergenic. People who are allergic to wool can wear alpaca.

Unless they're me.

My online research made me consider the possibility that it was something the yarn was treated with that was bothering my allergies. I'd planned on finishing the sweater and washing it and then finding out for sure.

Feh. (An incredibly kind person on Ravelry relieved me of that yarn and didn't even make me frog the sweater, lest I aggravate my allergies more. Knitters are awesome.)

So I'm de-stashing (Ravelry link).

MultiAl
Grignasco Top Print
I have 8 balls of blue & brown and 2 balls of pink & brown.
I'm asking $5 a ball, plus shipping

PunoBlack

PunoGray
Filatura Lanarota Puno. 10 balls each in black and gray.
I'm asking $30 for all 10 black or all 10 gray, plus shipping.

Leave a comment or contact me through Ravelry if you're interested.

Please spread the word--I'm hoping to sell it all and spend the money on some yarn that doesn't make me sick.

8 comments:

  1. I've heard of other people who are allergic to alpaca. In fact, I know more people who are allergic to alpaca than to wool! Thankfully, you have plenty of other yarn options :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your wool and alpaca allergies! You've looked at No Sheep for You, yes? It has a lot of great info on nonwool yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sad! Those are adorable. What does "frog" mean?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, I feel your pain. It's such a shame as those handwarmers are beautiful. I have the same yarn you're selling (the second post). I have it in fuschia and black-a bag each. I bought them at the Smiley's sale last year but have yet to do anything with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wristwarmers are gorgeous. I'm so sorry that wearing them would be torture for you! What a shame. You need to knit them again in a Jennu-friendly fiber.

    Thanks for your visit to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. (sorry for the lateness) Oh no! That's awful! The wrist warmers are so lovely, maybe you can line them with something?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you sold your Black Puno Alpaca yet? I need exactly that yarn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori, the black Puno is still available, but I can't reply to your comment since Blogger doesn't send it to me and your blogger profile isn't public. Please comment with your e-mail address or e-mail me directly at jenumlas at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!