Saturday, March 29, 2008

Send Carrier Pigeons!

I hope you're sitting down. HA and I have been without internet access at home since Thursday morning.

Gah!!!

Someone is coming on Monday to get the hedgehogs out of our tubes.

In the meantime, I am huddled over the laptop, piggybacking onto someone else's wireless network. There is one and only one wireless network in my immediate area that someone was kind or foolish enough to leave open, and for that I am extremely grateful.

Anyway, HA has the NY Times website as his home page, so when I fired this puppy up this morning, this was the top story. (Short version = particle accelerator, 2 guys suing to stop them from turning it on on the off chance that it creates a tiny black hole that will swallow the earth, "Or it could spit out something called a “strangelet” that would convert our planet to a shrunken dense dead lump of something called “strange matter.”)

This is not the synopsis of the next SciFi Channel movie of the week (which I'm hoping is Mansquito 2), this is real, actual news.

What I'm wondering is, if they do actually turn this sucker on, will we get advance warning in the news? Like, will Katie Couric look into the camera and say, "so if the world comes to end at 9 AM Zurich time, this is the reason why."? And will I get to take the day off from work? "Sorry boss, but on the off chance that this is the last day ever, I'm going to spend it with loved ones, mmkay?"

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a crazy story. Think they're born again christians or some kind of fundamentalists?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy stuff. Great, another thing to worry about...

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!