Monday, September 1, 2008

Disorganized? Moi?

I'm cleaning my home office because I'd decided to buckle down and work on all the paperwork involved in changing to my married name. Y'know, because 10 months after the wedding, I've been used to the idea of having a new last name enough to be annoyed that I haven't made it official everywhere I'm supposed to. Like at work. (In my defense when I started in January, it was supposed to be a 3 month contract and I wasn't even sure I'd have the marriage certificate by the time the gig ended. (Maybe it's an NYC thing, but it took months and even then, HA had to go down there and get it himself so I could get on his health insurance.))

S'anyway, so I started on that (using the forms provided in my handy dandy Official Bride Name Change Kit), but then realized that I was going to have to actually find statements from my different retirement accounts if I was going to send them the forms. (That's been the biggest obstacle--avoiding the hassle of figuring out who I have to send this stuff to.)

Mind you, I have a file cabinet and could've just pulled out some old statements, but no. Some info could've changed. I needed to find the recent statements. Which meant addressing the pile o' papers waiting to be filed. Along with the stuff I needed, I found pay stubs from 2005 and health insurance papers from 2004. I had filed since 2004, but the last time I attacked the pile, I didn't get all the way down. I'm now looking at floor, but I wouldn't swear that there wasn't a basket of more papers. Bt let's not think about that right now.

Now that I'm on a roll, I'm tackling the rest of the clutter (mainly books and craft supplies). I opened the closet for some reason and saw the keyboard from my old Mac. I've probably looked at it every single time I've opened that closet since getting my new Mac.

About a year ago, we came home from work to discover a layer of construction dust over a large swath of our apartment. You know, the reason why everything gets covered in plastic tarps when work is bring done. It turns out that our building did some work on the roof and didn't bother telling anyone on the top floor that maybe they should close their windows. When we complained to the super, his response was along the lines of, "yeah, that happened to a bunch of people". My home office window was closed, but HA's was open. The dust was all over his computer, the guest bed and had somehow boomeranged around a corner to get into my home office and into my keyboard. After a good cleaning, everything was back to normal. Except my keyboard. I've spent the past year planning to buy a new one--I need to hit certain keys multiple times, etc. but I kept wondering if a little annoyance was enough to justify the expense.

Then today, when I opened the closet and saw my old keyboard for probably the 50th time since my current keyboard got ruined, my brain finally put 2 and 2 together. I'm typing happily away on my old keyboard now. Apparently, the left arrow key was and is busted, so I'm going to have to wait and see how much of a hassle that's going to be.

I'm so excited to be typing away on springy keys again that I'm too busy to feel stupid that it's taken me so long to remember that I already had another keyboard in the house.

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, the post-wedding name-change hassle. My husband had to do it, too, since we both changed our names (to a hyphenated one that included both of our original names). We found that once you get the new Social Security card and number, most other name changes easily fell into place.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!