Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Jury Duty

I'm scheduled for jury duty and since it was relatively good timing, I didn't attempt to get out of it. They'd already moved me from the federal court way the hell out on Long Island to the one in Brooklyn that I can get to much more easily, so I've felt it would be ungracious to ask for a postponement. Even though I fell 2 weeks ago and smashed up my knee and really should be going to a doctor this week now that the cuts have healed because it feels like there's something wrong in there and I'm still having trouble with stairs.

But I had deadlines last week, so I wasn't going to be able to get to the doctor anyway.

Up until a few days ago, I've been wondering why people are so reluctant to do jury duty. But now that I'm going tomorrow, I'm worried about getting there on time (8 freaking thirty in the morning) and will they be mean to be if I'm late and what if I want to get some coffee or a snack and I really hate not knowing what my schedule is going to be like for the rest of the week. I know I'm not allowed to bring in my cell phone, which means I'll be leaving it with security because I'll want it to check my email at lunch time and as soon as I leave. (leave your cell phone at home indeed!) I have no idea if they'd hassle me for trying to bring in knitting or a laptop, so I won't be bringing either. Armed with 2 books and 2 magazines, I hope to escape with my sanity and sense of civic duty intact.

Feh.

2 comments:

  1. Knitters I know who tried to knit in court were told they couldn't do so because it was "distracting" and it would prevent them from paying attention to the proceedings. Of course, no one said anything to the people who doodled or wrote letters the entire time. Hmph!

    Your mileage may vary, of course.

    Have fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one and only time I had jury duty, in Manhattan, you could not bring in a cell phone if it had a camera. Mine at the time did not have one, so I was fine. Also, if you're just in the waiting room, waiting to be called on a jury, you can definitely knit! And use a laptop :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!