Wednesday, November 5, 2008

How?

I really wanted my first post in weeks to be happier than this. But the LA Times is calling it. With 95% of precincts reporting, Proposition 8 (the gay marriage ban) has passed. 

Let's do a little math here. 52% voted for Prop 8. 63.2% voted for Prop 2, to prevent cruelty to farm animals. 

That means that at least 11.2% of California voters walked into the voting booth and voted against animal cruelty and then voted to void 18,000 marriages, which is an act of cruelty against 36,000 people. 

Remember the cute little old lesbian couple that were the first in line to get married? Twice?One of them passed away this August.  More than half the voters in California say Phyllis Leon isn't a widow. 

More than half the voters in California are wrong. 

Florida and Arizona have also voted to ban gay marriage and Arkansas will no longer allow unmarried couples to adopt children, a measure aimed at gay and lesbian would-be parents. 

In the Presidential election, the country chose the decent guy who unites everyone with hope over the nasty, divisive guy who has accused so many of us of not being real Americans that I want to kick him in the shins. 

Last night, I cried with joy and relief. But today, looking at how many people voted to be mean to gays, I'm crying more because my heart is breaking for the 35,999 Californians who have just had their marriages disrupted (2 days after my first wedding anniversary).

I'm confident that we'll have gay marriage on a national level eventually, but I wonder how much money and effort we'll have to expend before anyone who wants to set up housekeeping can go ahead and do that.

Why do I support gay marriage? Well, for starters, it's because I've never heard an argument against it that wasn't mean and divisive and selfish. By electing Obama, we've decided not to be like that anymore, but not everyone is on the same page. Yet.

2 comments:

  1. WHAT?!? I hadn't heard the results on this yet. That is so sad...just when I thought there was progress being made in the US on this issue...
    We'll just have to keep the candle burning and hope that it will happen eventually...of course in the mean time, all of these poor people have had their rights removed in a matter of one day's events. So sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about CA, but not the other states you mentioned. You said perfectly what I'd been thinking and didn't know how to put into words... probably because I am too angry about it to use words.

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!