Friday, November 21, 2008

Spam From Beyond the Grave

I occasionally check my Spam folders for misdirected real mail. Which requires glancing at the real spam.

My latest batch of spam includes a missive from Thomas Galvin. Which is the name of my grandfather who died in the mid-70s.

Now, as a techie, I know that the From addresses in spam are randomly generated. Hell, my own hotmail address has been used as the Reply To message for spam. (I know this because I get the bounce messages.)

But still, my first thought was, "et tu Grandpa?"

The fine people at Hotmail have suppressed the content of the message, but the subject line is "Final Notification." Now, if you were going to send email from The Great Beyond, wouldn't you totally make that the subject?

2 comments:

  1. I think it's a hilarious and apt way for him to say hi.

    And he clearly knows something we have only guessed--that even death cannot stop spam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purgatory is now defined: crafting and sending spam all day, every day, until you are allowed to move onto your spirit's final destination. Kind of fitting, really.

    I'm sure that Matt Groening would say that it is actually Hell (Binky, come to the light!), but out of respect I'll disagree.

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!