Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Fiery Things

So this is what my brother will be doing tonight. (if you don't feel like clicking, he and his fiancee formed a company called Community Art Makers and got a contract for First Night Austin to build a 30 foot tall working clock and then burn it to the ground after dark. People can write their resolutions on a slip of paper and attach it to the clock's chain so they get burned too.

It's exciting enough that they made the paper, but I'm glad to have an official explanation of why they do what they do. Building something really big just to destroy it is really hard to explain to people who don't get the appeal right away. I can go on and on about performance art and spectacle, but I usually have to fall back on, "well, what else are you going to do with a 30 foot tall six-armed wooden monkey in a cowboy hat?"

As for me, HA and I are breaking with our New Years Eve tradition by actually leaving the apartment. I usually make an overly fancy dinner and we have a cozy evening in. But thanks to weather, we missed out on fried chicken at Galvin's in St. Joseph Missouri. I never ever, hardly ever eat fried chicken, but now that my tastebuds have gotten their hopes up, I need some fried chicken. So we're going to walk over to Unidentified Flying Chickens, this funky little Korean fired chicken place in Jackson Heights. 

And THEN we'll have a cozy evening in.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy your little New Year's outing and then your cozy time. We never go out on this night. On the other hand, a little performance art if I could get to see it would tickle my fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming by my blog and commenting about the seek n' find bottles. I decided to send a baggie of items to everyone that commented, so if you're interested, shoot me an email w/ your address (email is in my profile).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see Dave is still channeling his inner Beavis. Fire, fire, heh heh, indeed.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!