Thursday, December 18, 2008

Fruitcake Day

I'm almost done with the Christmas knitting and today I made the fruitcakes. It's all coasting downhill after the fruitcakes.

No, I don't mean the usual radioactive fruitcake. I make Alton Brown's Free Range Fruitcake, which requires a trip to the supermarket, a trip to Whole Foods because my local supermarket doesn't have dried blueberries, unfiltered apple juice, and a few other necessaries, and one last minute trip to the supermarket because I'd vastly underestimated the amount of sugar needed and vastly overestimated the amount of sugar in the house.

Remember--I don't own a car, so all of this stuff is carried home on foot or by subway and then foot.

Traditionally, I make one (1) fruitcake for my mother, and I get the extras. The recipe calls for a 9 inch loaf pan and I have an 8 incher, so mini-muffins happen. Well, NOW they happen. The first coupla times, I just put a cookie sheet underneath to catch the spillings and ate those.

Then last year or the year before, I made 2. Which really meant, 1 fruitcake and a bunch of fruit cupcakes. I may have sent some to my in-laws in Missouri--it's all quite fuzzy. 

This year, I decided that I should make three (3). One (1) for my mom, one (1) for me/us and one (1) to take with us when we visit the in laws in the great Midwest. 

I'm sure you've already guessed that at some point today, I realized that I had not thought this completely through. For example, how I was going to do this with one (1) loaf pan, one (1) muffin tin and (1) mini muffin tin. I had ruled out the layer cake pans because I don't have any tupperware that would hold a cake that shape and size. After making a big mess by taking the muffins and mini muffins from the pans before they'd cooled (when the recipe so totally says you have to let it cool in the pan), so that I could wash and re-use the pans, I decided to break out a cake pan and cut that one into pieces to fit it into some plasticware. While getting that pan, I discovered that I own 2 mini-muffin pans, which wouldn't have made a significant difference, but would've helped. 

At some point during the day, I became very, very tired and started to hate fruitcake. Which was a problem because everywhere I turned, there was fruitcake cooling. 

But we had some for dessert and it's all packed away now, so I can relax now. With any luck, I'll remember to take pictures of everything before giving them away, so I can post them on Ravelry and blog about them in a coupla weeks when I can think straight again. 

The other night, I met a knitter (she recognized my Wavy, I recognized her Unoriginal Hat--it was like a secret handshake or something) and she told me that she's only giving gifts from the gift stash this year. I am SO doing that next year. Set yourselves a reminder for December 10 next year so you can remind me I said that while I'm caught up in the knitting hysteria again.

1 comment:

  1. I saw "Nuncrackers!" ("Nunsense" Xmas show) this weekend, and in their cooking 'segment'* they suggested making the fruitcake with plastic fruit since no one will eat it anyway!

    *not hosted by Sister Julia, Child of God (ooh, spoiler!)

    Merry Xmas!

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!