Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Ouch

So I'm revising my resume so I can apply for an internship at some publication as part of my I'm finally gonna be a writer career change.

The first step is to trim down all my technical jobs so that it's clear that I've been employed, but to only mention the writing-related tasks. Which means I'm deleting a lot of stuff, because any potential employers in my new field don't care about that stuff. Stuff that I spent 13 years doing.

On the bright side, I didn't want to be doing a lot of that stuff at the time and at least I did something about it before another 13 years past. 

I realized that very little of my previous work history would count for anything, but still, when I trimmed a 3 page resume down to less than a page, I couldn't help but think, "Wow. I sure have been wasting my life, haven't I?"

Because I was pretty good at that stuff. I got it done. Ridiculously unreasonable deadlines? I was the nerd for the job. I kicked ass, took names, and then deleted it all from my resume because none of it matters anymore.

And I couldn't be happier.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to your resume writing woes since I'm going through the same thing myself right now. Best of luck to you on the job hunt! Cheers to you and finding your dream career!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're getting to refashion your resume and your life the way you want it to be. Too cool! Good luck with the internship.

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!