Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Got Mail?


Shelagh of Alice in Paris Loves Art and Tea is hosting a Letter Revival Festival. It's like a swap, but all you have to do is write a letter. One letter. Shelagh will match you up with a pen pal and you'll have an excuse to use some real stationery.  

I don't usually do swaps since if I can't get my act together enough to blog consistently, I can't possibly expect myself to put together a lovely gift package in a timely manner. But a letter, I can do. I won't even have to buy stationery. I have loads of the stuff leftover from pre-email times (when dinosaurs walked the earth, and Prometheus had yet to bring us fire, etc. etc.).  As a kid (5th grade-ish, I guess, though possibly older), I would trade stationery with the daughter of someone my mom knew. This girl and I would exchange packets of blank stationery through our moms and although we wrote each other short notes, we never met. I still have some of what she gave me, including one sheet of paper that can be folded and cut along the lines to make a paper airplane.

Anyway, if you're into this sort of thing, you can go over to Artful Penpals and sign up before June 14. Me, I'm excited to visit the blogs of everyone who signed up, since they're bound to be kindred souls. I couldn't possibly be the only one who owns sealing wax, right?

In other news, just when I thought the bad economy had forced my building super to dilute the stuff he uses to mop the halls, thereby demoting the lemon reek to lemon stink, the reek is back. I have deployed the giant 3-wicked coffee scented candle to counteract it. And yes, I realize that I've blogged about the lemon reek several times, while mentioning it to the super exactly zero times. His English isn't so hot (which is fine, because I had enough trouble learning French when I was living there that I get that not everyone can just pick up a new language, even after 20 years) and he's so house proud that I don't think anyone could convince him to use less than full strength lemon reek to clean the floors.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this! I just sent in a sign-up e-mail. I love handwriting letters. One of my best friends is someone I've never met but have been penpals with for over sixteen years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I found you through the artful penpal blog and here I find you blogging about it. Kudos! Good job. I found your bog interesting. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, thank you for dropping over to my blog! I don't get online too much due to being on the road, but currently have internet for a few days so I'm making my way round :-)

    I so love writing/receiving real letters :-) I wrote a little about the subject in my blog a few months back and since then have picked up on old-fashioned correspondence with friends. It was so nice to purchase and use lovely fancy writing paper again ... you just can't beat it (as nice as blogs are!!!) ... however, as I am currently 'of no fixed abode' it's a bit tricky. Maybe I could do message in a bottle swaps!!!!!

    Hope to see you back over at my place for a cuppa sometime :-)

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!