Wednesday, September 30, 2009

They Banned what?

It's Banned Book Week here in the U.S., which means that it's time once again to look at the list of books that have been banned, or objected to and roll our eyes. (Thanks to Samurai Knitter for reminding me.) Seriously, Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut? To Kill a Mockingbird? Gone With the Wind (because of the historically accurate use of the n-word)?

[digression]In grad school, a lot of my lit classes were filled with people who only wanted to discuss how racist the characters of each book was. My friends and I would walk into class wondering how they'd ruin this week's book for us. The whole Huck Finn n-word thing was put to bed by a student from Africa who pointed out that Jim, the escaped slave, was the smartest character in the book.[end digression]

I've read 22 of the books on that list. I didn't enjoy them all, but I read them. (I didn't love Naked Lunch and one of my college profs ruined DH Lawrence for me.) I'm not sure I can even name my favorite on the list. How about you?

2 comments:

  1. I think I've read most of them too.
    Love the student from Africa putting the discussion to rest. He was right, too. I really wish the twits would understand the point of Huck Finn and get over themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only actually read 13. How many I was *supposed* to read is a far different question...

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!