Friday, October 16, 2009

The Crush I Should've Had in the 80s

Once upon a time before the internets and cable TV, tweens (who weren't even called that yet) and teens idolized pop stars based on:
  1. who their classmates were crushing on,
  2. whoever Tiger Beat featured that month,
  3. whoever was in The Outsiders (stay gold, Ponyboy!)
and that was really about it. (Note that there was major overlap between categories 1, 2 and 3. The Outsiders were frequently pictured in Tiger Beat and we hung those photos in the classroom.) Discovering a movie that my friends didn't already know about? Wasn't likely. I was one of the more clueless and oblivious people on the face of the earth back then, or maybe it was just in my class, but you can understand what kind of obstacle that could be.

Now, when my husband first showed me The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai (which I never saw because they never promoted it to mainstream audiences and in 1984, I was 13 and living in the boondocks of Brooklyn, so it was just never going to show up on my radar), I was too busy trying to keep track of the plot to pay much attention to all the pretty men in this movie (they're super genius scientists who are also in a band, so ya know, mrow). After watching the movie twice and reading the novelization once, I now know what the hell this movie is about.

Once I had achieved comprehension, I was able to notice Peter Weller. And his eyes. And those cheekbones.

Here, look at a picture while I swoon.


(photo swiped from Google images)

See what I mean? This man belonged on my wall right next to Duran Duran, Adam Ant, Ralph Macchio and Scott Baio. (I'm not proud, just honest.)

This week, while watching Robocop for the first time (I ignored it when it came out because it was so totally a boy movie), I realized that I've developed a retroactive crush on Peter Weller. I'm not sitting around having fantasies about his younger self, or his current, still hot self. I'm not saying that I won't make him my imaginary boyfriend every now and then, but I'm just not the sort of adult female who worships some gorgeous celebrity and hangs pictures of him in their cubicle and will proselytize about the guy to anyone who asks. But I've retroactively filed him in my brain next to my other favorite 80s hotties, because he would've been there already if I'd had a clue back then.

So who's making you say homina, homina these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!