Friday, October 30, 2009

Halloween Costumes

Migraine today, so just a quickie. Craftzine blog has a post of the editors' favorite homemade costumes. Good stuff. I wanted a Princess Leia costume as a kid, but I'm not sure I ever told anyone, which would explain why I never had one.

When I was a kid, I would always ask for one of those hideous store bought costumes that were just a mask and a plastic apron. My mom would always refuse. At the time I thought that was evidence that my mom was a big meanie. In reality, it's evidence that kids have no taste. (Insert cheap shots at Hannah Montana and High School Musical here.)

Need a quick costume? Throw a blue towel over your shoulder and make a sign that says "Welcome, Great Pumpkin". Stripy shirt optional.

Need an even quicker costume? Just make a protest sign and go as a protester. If you want to be nonconfrontational about it, go with "Naps for Grownups!" or "Up with Coffee!"

If I had any plans for tomorrow that would allow for costumes, I would probably have come up with a Middleman-themed costume. Maybe a fish zombie. Or Lacey, the confrontational spoken word artist. Or Sensei Ping, the martial arts master who wears a Lucha Libre mask.

Yes, I realize that you have no idea what I'm talking about. If you'd been watching The Middleman, it might not have been cancelled. Get your hands on the DVD (the series finale is available in comic book form and on You Tube as a script reading done at ComicCon).

The premise of the show is that comic book villains are real and what's not to like about that?

What's your favorite costume idea? Be obscure, be impractical, be entertaining because on a migraine day, I could really use the pick-me-up.

1 comment:

  1. My husband and I both come from families that eschewed store-bought costumes (mostly because they cost a lot of money). We go homemade in our home now, too. Last year he went as Totoro. This year, Sylvia is going as Kiki and has asked me to go as her black cat, Jiji. Jan's going as Dr. Horrible. We are probably going to have to explain our costumes to everyone we meet (a witch who wears a red bow and not a hat? huh?), but as long as WE know who we are, we figure it's all good. :)

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!