Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Selling Out For Fun and a Contest

As you can see, I've added Google ads to the blog and RSS feeds. Why would I do such a thing?

Well, my unemployment has run out, so I can't turn my nose up at the $2 a month (or less) I expect to earn from blog ads. But mostly, I just think Google ads are funny. I love using my Gmail and seeing what ads the system thinks are related to the email I've just sent. My most recent favorite was when I emailed a friend asking about how I should respond to an editor who was considering an essay I'd sent her. I said to my friend something like, "God, it's like dating!" because you have to put some thought into every email. Google showed me an ad for a dating site and my brain went "hee!"

So now we're going to play a game. In a day or two, the ad spaces will be filled with real ads. (For the first day or two, it's just public service announcements, that may not be context-sensitive.) If you read a post and see an ad that is amusing, entertaining or incongruous (I hear that the liberal site Talking Points Memo gets fed ads for the far right, which they find hilarious), then leave a comment saying what it is.

Every comment (ad related or not) will get you an entry to win a box of random stuff. There will be cookies. Last day is December 9.

4 comments:

  1. Today's ad is for Blogger. :) Not particularly interesting. I dare you to try to write a post that produces an ad for...oh...let's say, orthodontic devices for cats. Can you do it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tempted to click the one for Jewish Personal Ads, myself. My maternal grandmother was Jewish, so technically I am, too, aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny videos, this one promises me. With a title like that, how could I lose?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm thinking of running dating site purely for the disabled



    ---------------
    filipino girls

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!