Monday, August 8, 2011

What I've Been Up To

Sundew
  • Revising my novel
  • Having anxiety attacks related to revising my novel. I suspect part of the problem is that in my current office I have no room for the sign that says "You do not suck. Now shut up and go back to work." When we rearrange the desks later this year, I'll fix that.
  • Listening to His Awesomeness telling me that I don't suck, but what the hell does he know?
  • Actually, he's pretty talented himself, so I guess he does know, but still.
  • Discovering how bad it smells when you leave the compost container on the counter during the hot summer months.
  • Washing my hands 3 times after washing the compost container and still not removing all the stink.
  • Recommitting to not volunteering for the community compost group because those bins must be introducing new smells every moment.
  • Trying to keep up with our CSA half share. At least the Kale onslaught seems to be over. Do you know what Kale Chips smell like? They smell like green. Aggressively so. Do you know what they taste like? They taste like green.
  • Discovering that I can stand eggplant if I slice it so thin (<1/4 inch) before breading and frying that it's more breading than eggplant.
  • Admitting that making eggplant parmesan would be less exhausting if I sliced it more thickly so there'd be less pieces to fry.
  • Rejoicing that this year's giant cabbage was actually smaller than my head this time.
  • Watching The Dick van Dyke show on Netflix Streaming. That sure is one catchy theme song.
  • Enduring His Awesomeness' suggestions that we throw a Dick van Dyke Show style party, where everyone gets up and performs.
  • Knowing that if we did that, our friends would either be afraid to perform, or come up with something mildly disturbing and/or dull as all get out.
  • Looking forward to getting Botox shots for my migraines because I have had it with these motherfucking migraines in my motherfucking head. 70 out of 90 days with a migraine is too many. (And yes, I know about the giving up gluten thing. I may try it if the Botox doesn't work, or when the first shots wear off. But doing it at the same time won't tell me which thing is making me feel better.)
  • Reading a book about treating migraines, which took months since it hurts to read when I have a migraine, and the whole 70/90 thing.
  • Playing games on Facebook.
  • Ignoring my invites to Google+ because I just can't be bothered.
  • Realizing this damages my techie cred.
  • Not caring.
  • Playing Angry Birds.
  • Watching Angry Birds tutorials on You Tube when I've failed a level 30+ times.
  • Buying a carnivorous plant to deal with the housefly situation. (That's not mine in the picture up top, but it's the same kind.)
  • Naming it Audrey 3 because sometimes you can't fight the obvious.
  • Peeking at it to see if it's doing anything.
  • Realizing that it doesn't work that way.
  • Peeking again.
  • And again.
  • Imagining the plant saying "Mo-om, she's looking at me!"
  • Realizing that it doesn't work that way, either.
  • Leaving it alone anyway.
  • Listening to the Travel with Rick Steves podcasts I downloaded 3 years ago when the economy turned bad and I thought I'd do some vicarious traveling, then realized that I couldn't keep up with one more weekly podcast and unsubscribed, but kept the ones I already had because they sounded interesting.
  • Being astounded that Rick Steves had to be told by his guest that you don't call French waiters "garcon".
  • I mean, honestly.
  • Rediscovering the joy of wearing nail polish.
  • Staring at my fingernails, because silver shatter is hypnotic. It's like crackle paint, which I've seen plenty of times, yet I can't look away.
What have you been up to?

1 comment:

  1. Studying, playing WoW, studying, visiting friends, studying, ignoring my blog and studying.

    You don't suck. Shut up and get back to work. :)

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!