Monday, April 30, 2012

Enough!

StressLast week, my productivity was massively hampered by stress over everything that was supposed to happen this week.

Last Monday, my schedule for this week looked like this:
Tuesday - doctor's appointment to schedule toe surgery for the same week, so Wednesday, Thursday, who knows?
Friday - drive to Way The Hell Upstate* to meet our future kid.**

* This is not as far from our home as Way The Fuck Upstate, but it's close.

**That on its own is enough to drive a normal person to distraction, so you can imagine what it did to a high-strung individual such as myself. You know those first dates where you build the whole thing up in your mind and decide that it's a momentous occasion, and you might actually be meeting your future spouse? It's like that, except that it's not all in your head.

And as last week began, our shower lost water pressure, but just with the hot water, so I had to call the building management company on top of going to the last of the pre-op doctor's appointments. And I was trying to schedule either the surgery or the meeting the kid for that week, so that I wouldn't be doing them both during the same week. Mostly because I'll have to elevate my foot post-op, and the drive to Way The Hell Upstate is 2.5 hours each way, during which foot elevation is impractical.

The stress finally came to a head when the management company called the plumber, then called me back to say that he thought it was just the shower head, so it was the super's responsibility.
  1. I know enough about plumbing to know that it wasn't the shower head.
  2. The super has a day job, so tracking him down and getting him to come and deal with stuff takes a few days that I just didn't feel like wasting.
I wasn't rude or obnoxious, but, yeah, I yelled and freaked out at the poor woman on the phone. Part of the problem is that all communication with the plumber, etc. is done through the women in the office, who know absolutely nothing about home repair, so can't possibly be communicating with them properly.

So it became clear that I wouldn't be able to do the surgery any sooner, but we were able to move up the meeting with the kid. (So, yeah, that's happened already. That gets it's own post later this week.) When the plumber came, he did what he could, but he's going to have to replace the entire thing. Which means that the porter (who is like a super, except that he's around all day and does different tasks) will be coming to break the tile in my shower so the plumber can get to the pipes to replace the whole setup. And then fix the tile when he's done.

When I called the doctor to get an idea of what day next week the surgery would be, so I could schedule the plumber, I found out that we'd actually be doing the surgery the week after.

So now next week's schedule looks like this:
Monday - call a driving school and schedule a lesson so I can relearn to drive this week. I have a valid license, but haven't driven in years and want to regain my sea legs with a calm instructor in a car with a second brake. I need to get back in the saddle so that His Awesomeness is no longer stuck with all the driving to Way The Hell Upstate, especially since we're going to try to go every weekend.
Tuesday - doctor's appointment to schedule surgery
Thursday - tile demolition/plumbing combo. Plans include dragging my ass down to the bathroom in the laundry room all day and not being able to leave the apartment except for bathroom breaks because guys are doing stuff.
Friday - chiropractor visit, then lunch with a friend, which means I really need to go out, so if the tile isn't fixed, I'm giving my keys to the porter and leaving anyway.
Saturday - bridal shower (a cousin--the wedding this summer is going to be upstate and will be THE social event of the season, a family reunion, and a mini vacation all rolled into one.)
Sunday - debut my newly-regained driving skills to go Way The Hell Upstate to visit with the kid.

Hopefully, I'll be able to face this week with less rocking back and forth in a fetal position than I exhibited last week. A gal's gotta dream.

1 comment:

  1. Jen, you're such a tease. Fun post, but I want to hear about the kid!!! I take it it went ok, since you are coming back.

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!