Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Sighs

260620082606
Like the F-word, a sigh is appropriate in so many situations, and can mean so many things.

Things that have made me sigh in disappointment and frustration, because my stress has been increased and my faith in human beings has decreased:
  • The plumber's no show last Thursday.
  • The owner's vague promise that "they'll be there by 11" on Tuesday (today). Does that mean the plumber will be here by 11, so the porter will be here to break the tile before that? Does that mean the tile busting starts by 11? How early can "by 11" be? They could show up at 8 am - that's by 11. (We checked with the porter last night who said he'd stop by at 10 to let me know what was going on. 45 minutes later, he hasn't come by yet.)
  • A bureaucratic delay in my toe surgery that may mean I can't have the surgery before a walking-intensive vacation in early June. Since I can't currently wear sneakers all day without pain, this could be a problem. A problem I can fix by buying a second pair of sandals, the kind of which that should be as comfy as sneakers, but with open toes. (to a suggestion? Leave 'em in the comments. I already have a pair of Birkenstocks, but we'll be doing so much walking that I won't be able to wear the same shows 2 days in a row.
  • The load banging the porter and plumber are making in the 4 minutes since their 10:53 arrival. Yesterday's migraine was all the way out the door and waiting for the elevator, but now he might be coming back in to stay after all.
  • Blogger's insistence on Times New Roman as a default font. Seriously, blogger? A serif font online? You shoulda known better than that in 1999.
Things that have made me sigh in contentment:
  • This weekend's visit with The Kid. It's one of many steps it'll take to become a family, but it's nice to take a moment and notice it's happening. And, of course, the long drive home gave us plenty of time for that.
My grand return to driving didn't happen. The damp weather meant that Monday's migraine was already knocking on the door and HA and I were both afraid that the added stress of driving would invite Hector the Migraine Fairy right on in. Since I'm not having foot surgery this week, I should be able to pitch in this coming weekend.

Most of what we need to do on these visits is hang out, so we took her to the Palisades Mall. Holy fuck and half, that place is huge! They have a ferris wheel, and a merry-go-round, INSIDE the mall. They have an ice skating rink. They have a LIVE COMEDY CLUB. They have more big anchor stores than I could count. They have so many kiosks that sell just sunglasses or cellphone cases that I stopped counting after 5. And am IMAX movie theater.

In contrast, the mall I grew up with in Brooklyn is Kings Plaza. We had two anchor stores (Macy's and Alexanders, later Sears). We had a sunglasses hut kiosk - one of them. You could probably fit more than 5 Kings Plazas in the Palisades Center. I know I could probably find out the square footage with some simple google-fu and do the math, but I don't feel like wrapping my brain around it all.

We had lunch, then The Kid showed us her favorite stores. She mentioned that there was a bedding set in Target that she really wanted for her dream bedroom, so we bought that. We'll take her shopping for curtains and blinds after we've measured the windows. It hadn't even occurred to me to take her shopping for those things - dumbass me was thinking we'd have to run to Target on one of the days that we don't go to visit her. Of course, us city kids are mall-deprived, so what the hell do I know?

Then we hung out in the food court and played Uno and mancala. Then dinner, and making plans for next weekend's visit. She says she's going to teach me to throw a football, which I already know how to do. CATCHING a football is completely different matter, so maybe she can teach me that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!