Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Cultural Exchange

Cherry Tree Blossoms & Jefferson MemorialThe Kid has been very eager to share her favorite movies and TV shows with us. As in, "You HAVE to watch this Chucky movie." And here I thought my life was happier sans Chucky. We watched Child's Play the weekend before last and boy, am I glad I had my knitting to keep me company.

In exchange, we showed her the Alice Cooper episode of The Muppet Show, which she dug, so we're good there.

This past weekend, we showed her The Muppet Movie (the original), which she also enjoyed. In return, or retaliation, she showed us Insidious. (She totally wanted to show us another Chucky movie, but I shot that down early in the negotiations.)

Insidious is a movie about haunting, astral projection and how men are useless. It was written by a man, so I don't know how much of the male-bashing is deliberate, but it's there. I won't go into a spoilerific examination of this movie, but let's just have a quick breakdown of the adult males in this movie.

The Dad: Starts working late every single night after the house starts acting haunted so that his wife gets to deal with it alone. Goes into denial when the wise woman explain what's really happening. After he comes around and sets off to do what he has to, ignores most of the wise woman's instructions. He may be a bigger idiot than the characters on The Walking Dead.

The Wise Woman's Assistants: Bicker over which one of them is more important and freak out when they see actual ghosts. You would think that a couple of guys who work for a Freelance Exorcist who have built ghost-detection equipment out of a view master would've seen enough real ghosts that they'd be used to it.

And the spirit who triumphs in the inevitable twist ending that leaves the door open for a sequel? Is a female ghostie.

I'm really torn between wanting to write a detailed feminist critique of this film and submitting it for publication somewhere and wanting to scrub my brain out so I never have to think about it again.

Any thoughts on horror films? I'm going to be watching a lot of them in the coming weeks and months. Apparently. Sigh.

3 comments:

  1. I've seen pretty much all of them. Hubster is a HUGE horror fan. Thanks to netflix streaming, he's taken to watching the B ones without me, but I still watch most of the A listers with him. Some are definitely better than others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched "The Woman in Black" with Daniel Radcliffe. It was pretty laughable, but still gets in your head if you watch it before bed. You'll see endless sequences of him going up the stairs, down the stairs, up the stairs, down the stairs...in search of ???? (there's not enough of a plot to figure out what for) and then in the end he thinks winding up a bunch of creepy dolls and monkeys is going to help him help the spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked "Shutter Island," it kept my attention well

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!