Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Just Go Ahead Without Me

I'm having trouble getting combobulated enough to write something coherent, thanks in part to my annual New Year's Mucusfest. (The awesome thing about having a 5-year journal is that I can see that at this time last year I was also wondering if I'd ever stop producing prodigious amounts of snot. You know, so I can feel like it's all part of the Wheel of the Year.)

BTW, my Dad said that my last blog post was TMI, so I'm thinking he's probably not loving my word choices in the last paragraph, but we've all been sick and know that the word "Mucusfest" is nowhere near as gross as the actual experience. Also, Dad? Vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina.

Anyhoodle, in lieu of an actual post, here's a bunch of cool stuff I feel like sharing.


  • The fascinating unsolved mystery of the missing Sodder children, which I found via The Hairpin, which is also worth a peek.
  • Flying Houses
  • On Writing Morning Pages. I did this exercise years ago, but I was extremely literal minded about it and did them super first thing in the morning. As in while I was still in bed trying to wake up. When that resulted in gibberish, I moved it a little later in my morning routine, but apparently not late enough because it didn't really do anything for me. The author of this essay mentions writing her morning pages on the subway and I had a lightbulb moment. I can do them at the start of my work day instead of looking for one more little to do because procrastination is all part of the process.
I wonder why I was so literal about following the instruction to write morning pages first thing in the morning. Is it because I was a techie? Or is it a touch of the ol' Asperger's? It's probably the Catholic upbringing. No one follows the letter of the law like a Catholic. It's all the anti-Hell propaganda. Like, for all we know Hell is a perfectly nice place. And we certainly don't know the actual rules and regulations for entry thereto. Just something I used to think about while obeying the letter of the law while attending mass twice a week and ignoring the spirit of the law by letting my mind wander and think about how much I disagreed.

Anyway, if you've found anything cool lately, please share in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. The last Wonder Show podcast turned out pretty well: http://the-wondershow.tumblr.com/post/39656519596/new-podcast-mike-jim-and-john-discuss-the-best

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!