Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Comments About Comments

Question Mark Graffiti
Photo credit: Bilal Kamoon
I was going to stick this at the end of a post about something else, but then it got so long that I decided it had to be a post on its own, because how else can I expect you to read it? I've given up on the new IntenseDebate commenting system since Blogger kept eating it, and some people said that it freaked them out a bit and made them think that they couldn't comment anonymously, even though they could. This means that all comments left on the new system have gone bye-bye, which was happening every time Blogger ate them anyway.

I've been tearing my hair out over this because I've been trying to find a system that will allow you guys to comment AND get replies to comments in your e-mail. Just like if you commented on Facebook. Because my blog posts have been getting a lot more comments on Facebook than here. This means 1. the comments get lost (All those recipes people share on FB so they can find them later? Are not going to be easy to find later.) and therefore 2. it looks like no one is interested enough to comment and that's really not going to help my cause when I get my novel finished and I'm trying to get an agent. Because if you don't even comment, why would you buy my book? But you're totes going to buy my novel and tell everyone you know to buy a copy because it's going be really good and not suck at all. So let's lay the groundwork now. 

(And while we're on the subject, if I do a post that you find particularly funny or thought provoking, please share a link with your friends on FB or Twitter or wherever. I love you all individually and collectively and would love to meet your friends. Also, it'll be really helpful if there are more than twenty of you when it comes time to land a book deal. I promise to bring my A game more often and to even leave my house so that I have stuff to write about. Deal?)

So where does that leave us? I could install Disqus comments, and there's a way to keep Blogger from overriding Disqus. You'd have to register, but you'd get replies to your comments anytime you visited a site that had Disqus comments, of which there are many. But then you wouldn't be able to include links to your blogs when you comment and I like giving people that option. 

I could move the whole blog to WordPress, but then if you wanted to subscribe to a post's comments, you'd have to click on a link in an e-mail, which is bullshit. 

I think there's a way to leave the Blogger comments as is, and add a link that would let you subscribe to comments to a specific post. This is ideal, but finding out how to it? Damn near impossible. I'm working on it. (The default system only lets you get follow up comments emailed to you in you sign in with your Google account.) If you can help with this, please let me know in the comments.

Or are you just going to keep commenting on Facebook no matter what I do? An additional twist to this is that for the past few days, every time I try to reply to a FB comment via email, the email fails and I have to go directly to FB to leave the message. So FB commenting is getting hinky. Or maybe it's just me.

If I seem frustrated, it's because people are commenting. Just not in the comments. And as a former systems analyst, that is blowing my mind.

Please chime in in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain. Blogger often sends me into fits of blind rage.

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!