Monday, July 8, 2013

The State of the Jen

Podium in the screening room
Photo credit: rick
I dunno. Fair to middling, I guess. I've misplaced my mojo to the point that I haven't quite felt like myself lately. Until I have an anxiety attack and then I'm like, oh yeah, there I am.

It certainly didn't help that I just read two books on the Catholic abuse scandal. I won't go into the details, but Jesus H. Fucking Christ, I so want to go yell at a bishop. I'm an ex-Catholic with a Jesuit education, which means that I could talk your ear off about why I'm not Catholic anymore if you pressed me on it. So don't because I will probably bore the Hell out of you. And now I have two whole books of additional information in my arsenal. 

I've had two books waiting on deck as my reward for finishing the second book before it was due back at the library, and yet I haven't touched them yet. Apparently, I can call myself an ex-Catholic, but I still have a delayed gratification thing going on.

Most of the anxiety is because I've been working on building my freelance writing business, which involves a lot of stuff that is way outside my comfort zone (sending e-mails to complete strangers, etc.). So I keep having to take breaks to play Plants vs. Zombies. I'm not sure what horrible consequence would befall me if I failed to take a Plants vs. Zombies break, but I'm afraid to find out. And yes, I realize that a meditation break would be far more soothing and productive, but plants! and zombies!

On the bright side, I was a telemarketer while I was in grad school, so all the rejection involved in cold contacting people is old hat. In fact, I think everyone should work a sales job at some point in their life. Once you've been on the phone all day and your sales quota is only two sales an hour (and exceeding that is a fucking miracle), run of the mill rejection is nothing.

Plus, I'll be hitting some in-person networking events, which means several exciting things:
  1. Mingling.
  2. Getting to show off my really cool business cards.
  3. Cheese trays.
And potential clients, of course.

And because I don't have enough going on, I'm trying to step it up with the blog, doing the redesign you see here, looking for new blogs to follow, joining blog networks and all that. So when I sit down to write a post, I feel like I have to write the funniest post evahs, which is never going to happen, hence the drop off in posting lately.

So I've decided to let it all hang out. So what if I'm a bit of a mess right now? If nothing else, I can make you feel so much better about your own life. So really, I'm providing a public service.

How do you handle it when life gets overwhelming? Do you tend to withdraw (like me) or do you do something else?

3 comments:

  1. So, I don't know if you will think this is good news or bad news, but Plants vs. Zombies 2 is due out sometime this summer. I CANNOT wait. Also, I'm definitely of the "withdrawing" type. Pretty much all the time, whether things are good, bad, or in between :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to force myself to just keep going when I get to that point. Inaction kills me!

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!