Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Get Out of Town

Bash Bish Falls
Photo credit: Andy Arthur
Today's prompt is: What is your favorite summer destination?

I'm going to have to go with anyplace with air conditioning. NYC in the summer is something akin to Satan's armpit. Everyone of means leaves for the entire month of August. This includes shrinks, which means that those of us stuck in town without our mental health professionals are extra grouchy. 

It also includes judges, so August is the best time to be called for jury duty if you don't want to end up on a trial. Or end up sitting around for two days because they usually realize after a few hours on your first day that there are no trials scheduled, and they let you go. This actually happened to me once, possibly twice. You'd think the jury duty people would know this and not call people in August, but you would be wrong.

In the dark days before I had air conditioning in the living room, I would actually have to leave my house in search of AC. We even had dinner on our bedroom floor, picnic style just because it was too fucking hot to eat anywhere else in the apartment. We have a membership in MoMA, so their air conditioning is easily accessible to us. We saw a lot of movies at MoMA in our pre-air conditioned living room days.

Coney Island is nice. The beach is right there, and Nathan's. But the whole area took quite a licking during Sandy and I'm not sure I could handle a visit this year. An MTA worker handed me a brochure informing me that one of the tunnels between Brooklyn and Manhattan will be closed for a few months while they fixed storm damage and it damn near broke my heart. I don't take that line regularly, so I'm not going to be inconvenienced, so there was no annoyance to mask the sadness. So I'm in no condition to see how Coney Island is doing just now. I hear my beloved aquarium is a husk of its former self and...I just can't. 

Finances and HA's aspiring movie mogul career being what they are, we'll be staying in town for the foreseeable forever. But given a choice, we might go camping, way the hell upstate where my aunt used to take all us cousins camping. We'd wake up in the morning and it would actually be cold. We'd wander around in shorts and sweatshirts. In the summer. God, it was glorious. The water from the common spigots was way cold, as was the water in the ore pit we swam in. As a kid, all that coldness was not my favorite thing. But we've just had a heat wave, so holy crap, I'm sitting here smiling like an idiot just thinking of how cold it was.
Blogging Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!