Monday, August 19, 2013

It's All OK

OK
Photo credit: Richard Eriksson
Today's prompt is: something new you've learned in the past month.

Well, I don't know if I learned this, or if it was more like an epiphany, but after one session of EFT therapy, I discovered that everything is OK. Like really OK. Like so OK that I can't even tell you how OK it is.

Let me step back because I know I'm sounding like my parents when they first got back from Burning Man. (Note: If you haven't read that post, you really should. Because my parents. went to Burning Man.)

Put very unscientifically, EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) is this therapy where you focus on something that's been giving you trouble (a past trauma, anxiety, stage fright, etc.) and then tap on certain acupressure points. What you're doing is thinking about something that gets your lizard brain all worked up, and then the tapping tells your lizard brain to chill out.

And now I feel fucking amazing. My super tight chompy jaw? Unclenched for the first time in, I dunno, ever?

Now, I never would've had such success with EFT if not for years of talk therapy. I'd already figured out that the root of my problem was this, that and the other thing. But that had only gotten me so far. Knowing helps, but that doesn't mean that I could shrug it off. 

But now? It's OK. 

I'm not 100% better all of a sudden. I still get migraines, and I still wear my dechompinator sometimes. But I've had an anger-ectomy. And that's OK.
Blogging Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!