Saturday, August 24, 2013

More Bookses

Last Chance Saloon
Photo credit: Nacho Pintos
Today's prompt is favorite book. As if I could pick just one.

But I will. Last Chance Saloon by Marian Keyes. She's an Irish author and her books are hilarious. 

In Last Chance Saloon, our heroes are three best friends (a gay man and two straight women) who grew up together in a small Irish town and moved to London. The man gets sick with cancer (which he's let go on without treatment because he and his boyfriend both assumed it was AIDS, and this was back in the days when you couldn't do much about that). So he orders the other two to fix their lives according to his instructions or he'll die just to spite them. 

Both women have the same reaction: How dare he! He's totally right about HER. But he's completely wrong about ME.

If only I could write a book this good. Yes, yes, I know. My novel is and will be equally fantastic, just in a Jen way.

But still. 

I tried to outline this book once as part of an effort to improve my plotting skills. After a few chapters, I got too caught up in the story to remember to outline.

Marian Keyes had a bit of a dry spell while she dealt with one of her bouts of depression. And apparently the black dog ate her newsletter mailing list, because I'm signed up for it, but the first I heard about the book she published last year was when I saw it in the library last week. Not that a best selling author needs my business, but I still feel like people should be telling me these things.

More accurately, I feel like Marian should be telling me these things. Or at least one of the fictional Walsh sisters. After all these books, I feel like they're all friends of mine and it's an unpleasant shock to discover that they're not. Especially the fictional ones. You'd think that they'd have the time to be my imaginary friends since they don't have to busy themselves with being real. 

Just saying.

What's your favorite book?
Blogging Challenge

1 comment:

  1. This sounds fantastic, I'm definitely going to have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!