Friday, August 2, 2013

Three Wishes

Template for Wishing
Photo credit: garland cannon
Today's prompt is: If you had three wishes what would they be and why?

Wish #1 would have to be affordable health care. I'll spare you the details, but yay Affordable Health Care Act. 

Wish #2, OK this is where things get hinkey. Do I wish that the adoption had worked out? Do I wish that I'd managed to get pregnant? Do I wish the dot com crash had been more of a stumble, keeping me and my friends happily employed in cool jobs? Wishing to fix the past seems like such an obvious move, but regret is such a waste of time.

So for Wish #2, I think I'll go with more space. Because we have a reasonably spacious apartment, yet I manage to bump into stuff all the time. I dream of moving to a house where things can be a little more spread out. My shins would really like that. And my poor kneesies. As if they haven't had enough real accidents to contend with over the year, I have to go and bump them into the corner of the hope chest on my way to bed half the time.

And yes I realize that my stuff will expand to fill whatever space I have, but I've had more space in the past and it was lot easier on my knees and shins. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Wish #3: Pockets. Seriously. Women's clothing does not always have pockets and that's bullshit. Even my husband's pajamas have pockets. His fucking PJs! Women and men will never be equal until we all have pockets in ALL of our clothes. And don't give me that nonsense about ruining the line of the clothing. If men can be trusted not to overload their pockets, then so can women. 

And this isn't just about convenience. Though I do like keeping a hankie handy, and I'd rather not have to stick my phone in my bra when I'm using it to listen to podcasts. It's a real, actual safety issue. You know those programs where you donate your old cell phone to be used by a battered woman who can then use it to call for help while locked in the bathroom? How exactly is she supposed to do that if her phone is on the table or in her purse because her clothes have no pockets?

Not that the pocket conspiracy is there to keep women physically abused. It's just there to perpetrate overall oppression. And to make me trip over something on my way to answer my cell phone because it's rarely on my physical person.

I swear to God people, I have a sewing machine, and I sort of know how to use it. I'm going to make good on my threats to add pockets to my pocketless clothes one of these days.

What are your wishes?

And the August blogging challenge is open to everyone with a blog, not just those of us in the Northeast, so feel free to join in!

Blogging Challenge

4 comments:

  1. Space is a great thing!! I am so thankful for space when I moved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there was less dust in the world. Can you guess what I'm doing now?

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!