Monday, November 11, 2013

Look - Baby Animals!

This weekend I went to the Prospect Park Zoo with a friend to check out the five-month old baby red pandas. But those weren't the only zoo babies. The Himalayan Baboons have a little addition - Momma keeps leading him/her around by the tail, which is as effective as it is hilariously adorable.

Total bonus - the marmoset had given birth the day before. 

Dudez - day-old baby marmosets. Mucho cuteness. All three of them were hanging onto Momma Marmoset, positioned so that they were almost perfectly camouflaged. 

Here they are with arrows so you can see them better:


They're so wee tiny, I could probably hold all three mini-marmosets in my hand at once. 

I was so blown away by the cuteness, that I forgot which animals they were almost immediately. I'm pretty sure they're marmosets - and there's nothing online about any zoo babies at the Prospect Park Zoo besides the red pandas. If I'm wrong, please tell me in the comments - after a while, all the adorably fluffy primates start to blend together.

It was kept such a secret that the volunteers didn't even know - the one who was stationed by their habitat had heard about it from a patron. She said that the keepers must've known since they examine all the animals, but didn't tell anyone else for some reason.

I imagine they didn't want to freak out the poor critters by having a baby watch going on. I mean, no wonder there are so few pandas being born - no privacy, lots of pressure. 

I was pretty beat after all the walking around and zoo-ing, so when I got home, I took a little nap. But first, I asked His Awesomeness to tell me a story about marmosets. 

So he told me about Trevor the marmoset who has no wisdom teeth (because none of them do - he was sneaking peeks at the WIkipedia). The other zoo animals give him a hard time about it, but he doesn't mind. Who needs wisdom teeth anyway? Trevor watches Seinfeld reruns along with the zookeeper, who doesn't realize that Trevor is watching along through the glass between his habitat and the zoo office. Trevor's favorite character is Newman and he claps whenever Newman comes on. 

Trevor is also friends with Paul McCartney. They correspond by letter - Trevor dictates his letters to the zookeeper using sing language. And when Sir Paul is in town, they jam together, usually on rock n roll oldies. 

Trevor is a very implausible marmoset.

I mean, come on. How can the zoo keeper not notice that he's watching Seinfeld with him?

1 comment:

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!