Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Life is Just So Fucking Inconvenient

This is pretty much how my bathroom
ceiling looks.
I've realized that my life isn't hard so much as it is inconvenient. Also that complaining about how "fucking hard" your life gets you a lot of blog traffic from some very disappointed people.

Examples:

The closest drug store to my house has many shades of home hair dye. Unless you want to go red. So I have to go to the second closest drug store, which is a far enough away that walking there constitutes all the walking I can handle in a day. So the trip takes planning. Or my mom can pick it up for me at her local, but then we have to time our visits around my hair dying schedule.

or

There has been a hole in my bathroom ceiling since late November/early December. The bathtub fixtures in the apartment upstairs is leaking. For the second time in 4 years. The repair guy opened the ceiling to find out what the problem was, and covered the hole in plastic so water wouldn't drip on us when we showered. He needed the super to confirm his diagnosis so he could fix it. This never happened and I decided to let it go until after the holidays. During this time, the plastic would fill with water and it became a daily ritual to push up on the plastic with a mop so the water would fall down around the sides of the plastic. Otherwise, the weight of the water might have pulled the plastic and the rest of the ceiling down.

And then we developed a leak under the kitchen sink. The super gave my urgent repair request to the repair guy 4 days after I submitted it. The repair guy came as soon as he got it. While he was here, he took down the plastic in the bathroom and re-assessed the leak. As if it might have magically fixed itself. It didn't. Apparently, things have been sliding enough that the repair guy can now take action on his own. Sadly, this includes bringing in the plumber, so who knows when that will happen.

But the ceiling is now open. So I can't shower if Stompy Upstairs Neighbor is also showering. Unless I want cold water dripping on me mid-shower.

The other day, I overslept and had to shower, eat lunch and do some other stuff all in one hour before a conference call. I'd be rushed, but it was doable. Except that Stompy decided to take a shower at 1pm. Now, I have a chronic pain condition, so I keep erratic hours, but Stompy? The only time I've ever been awake and not heard someone moving upstairs is between 3 and 4 am. There's plenty of time when he's awake and could shower, but he had to do it exactly then. Which wouldn't matter except for the leak. Which I imagine is caused by him being rough when he turns the faucet on and off. Otherwise, why would it start leaking again so soon after the last repair?

I dunno. I just really hate that guy and feel that he's probably to blame.

or

Lemons give me migraines. So I don't eat them. Did you know that most commercially available mayonnaise contains lemon juice? Most of the time I make my own, which is exactly the sort of thing a chronically ill person has the time and energy for. Miracle Whip doesn't have lemons, but it tastes ew. Ditto for the one brand in the spanish foods section that's made with lime juice. There are a couple of organic brands that don't have lemon juice. but they do include honey, which I'm flat out allergic to. And how bad must it taste if they feel the need to sweeten it? It's mayonnaise for fuck's sake.

There's one kosher brand that has no lemons and tastes good. And is damn near impossible to find. A local supermarket has is sometimes, but they're under new management and may not be ordering it at all. I was able to order some from Fresh Direct, but they've had it marked as unavailable for months now. I checked with customer service and they plan to get it again, otherwise it wouldn't appear online at all. 

But like all online retailers, Fresh Direct sends me almost daily emails trying to get me to place another order. They're all, "hey buddy, have some free delivery". And so every few days I click on a link in an email and check to see if my new fave mayo is in stock yet. Which it hasn't been in forevahs. Do they have an option to request email notification when an item comes in? No, they do not.

Purchasing condiments should be much easier than this, don't you think?

Your turn. What in your life is excessively inconvenient?

1 comment:

  1. Inconvenient, not really, excessively annoying, oh yeah, the roommate (temporary, thank goodness!) who seems to be incapable of closing a cupboard or drawer after opening them. Seriously, if you open it, close it! How tough is it?

    Easier to deal with than special order condiments. (Any kosher delis nearby willing to help you out?)

    ReplyDelete

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!