Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Because We Don't Have Enough New Years Already

I've never had good luck working for people younger than I am, even though management skills are not something that come with age. I've done it twice and both times I've been astounded by how little my boss understood the company politics. And I'm especially clueless, so you know that's got to be bad.

The first time I worked for someone younger than me (by two years), we sometimes bonded by discussing apartment problems. It's a common thing in NYC. You settle for a shitty apartment that's less shitty than the other ones you looked at and then God help you if you need anything fixed. 

I remember one of his walls leaked every time it rained. This went on for months. Then in September, he had to have something fixed - possibly related to the wall. He called the building's super (or the handyman that his landlord used) and when he got off the phone, he told me that they can't fix the problem this weekend because it's Puerto Rican New Year.

Now, I realize that I don't know everything, so I asked him what Puerto Rican New Year was. He said he didn't know. "He said they couldn't come this weekend because it's the New Year."

That coming weekend was Rosh Hashanah. Jewish New Year.

So I explained how his Hasidic landlord couldn't let any of his employees work on a Jewish holiday.

I didn't have the sort of relationship with this guy where I could tease him as mercilessly as he deserved. I mean, who the Hell in New York City didn't know that Rosh Hashanah was happening in four days? Every time you try to schedule a meeting in September, people's availability is affected.

Also, why did he think he couldn't schedule any repairs for the weekend? Employees of Hasidic landlords can't work on Saturday and the repair guys are all goys, so their day of rest is Sunday. If the heat goes out on a weekend, you're gonna have to fix it yourself.

But I've always wondered...is Puerto Rican New Year the stupidest thing I've ever heard of? Or the coolest? I mean, who couldn't use another holiday? We could celebrate with conch fritters and plantains.


Go ahead - make up holiday. Maybe we'll adopt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!