Monday, October 19, 2015

Monday Links

The Sequel to the Philadelphia Story Katherine Hepburn Deserves I read this in public and could not stop laughing out loud. Because, yeah, that story takes a really weird turn.

Things My Newborn Has Done That Remind Me of the Existential Horror of the Human Experience I swear, most of the time newborns are just like WTF? As well they should be.

How Doctors Take Women's Pain Less Seriously Back in my volunteer EMT days, I once took a woman to the ER who'd given birth a few days earlier and was in excruciating pain. Like, soiled herself and was in too much pain to let anyone clean her up. We just wrapped her in the soiled blanket and transferred her to the gurney because that required the least amount of jostling. At the hospital, we had to talk to a security guard before we could take her to the ER. As he was letting us through, he said, "Of course she's in pain. She just had a baby. What did she expect?" I don't even want to think about how many doctors and nurses she encountered that day who had the same attitude as that guy. We rarely found out anything about the patients after we handed them off, but I'd bet my 401K that it wasn't normal post-natal pain. 

If you unknowingly give your kids juice that contains too much sugar, what else are you capable of?

Women who show anger are taken less seriously. Which, of course, makes us even angrier. Shit like this is why I feel a certain affinity for the Witch from Into the Woods:
"You're so nice. You're not good. You're not bad. You're just nice. 
I'm not good. I'm not nice. I'm just RIGHT."
Which hey, sounds like a good place to end:


1 comment:

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!